Man United receive triple injury blow ahead of Real Madrid game

By Dave Marshall
Manchester United have suffered a triple injury blow, ahead of Wednesday’s International Champions Cup game against Real Madrid.

Even before this news, Jose Mourinho has cut a frustrated figure as most of our key players are not back for pre-season while the club has refused to add more signings to the team.

Our problems haven’t been helped by a 4-1 defeat to bitter rivals, Liverpool on Saturday night in Ann Harbor in a game in which Nemanja Matic, Luke Shaw and Chris Smalling didn’t feature.

The latter pair had played in the previous games and were expected to feature against the Scousers while Matic was supposed to have a part after just arriving from holiday following his World Cup exertions.

Mourinho however has given updates on why the trio couldn’t play the game which, although only a pre-season match, some might say highlighted the disparity in the strength in depth of our team and that of Liverpool.

Matic has undergone surgery for an abdominal pain and will be out for the start of the Premier League season while Mourinho was a tad irritated by absence of Shaw and Smalling, claiming he doesn’t know when they will be back.

Speaking to reporters after the game, Mourinho said, “Smalling? I’ve no idea,” “Shaw? I’ve no idea. Matic had a surgery. Yes, of course [he is out for the start of the season].

“I don’t know,” Mourinho replied when asked when Matic would return. “He came from the World Cup with an injury and the time he had to rest in the holiday was not enough to resolve the problem” he added.

It has to be said, we have not been convincing this pre-season so far, playing out draws against Club America, San Jose Earthquakes and AC Milan prior to the humiliation by Liverpool. Let’s hope we click into gear quickly against Leicester.

Forget Harry Maguire, Man United launch £35m move for World Cup star

By Mark Weasley
Manchester United are preparing a stunning £35m move for Colombian international, Yerry Mina, according to reports from The Sun.
The Barcelona centre-back shone at the World Cup, scoring three goals and helping his team to the Round of 16.
With the transfer fee of Leicester defender, Harry Maguire being quoted as £80m, Jose Mourinho is reportedly turning attention to Mina, who will be a cheaper alternative to the England international.
The 6ft 5in powerhouse has been attracting interest in the Premier League with clubs like as Everton and Wolves reportedly making moves to bring the player to England. He is open to the possibility of leaving The Camp Nou following the arrival of Clement Lenglet. Mina struggled for game time in Barcelona last term and wants more playing time to aid his development.
The Blaugrana only signed him from Palmeiras in January, but he struggled to adapt to the style of play and was particularly atrocious in the 5-4 defeat to Levante, which ended Barcelona’s unbeaten run with just one match left to play. Mina rebuilt his reputation, being his country’s best player at the World Cup and earning plaudits for his prowess from setpieces.
Jose Mourinho wants a new centre-back, as he is not convinced with the trio of Lindelof, Jones and Smalling. He has been linked to the pair of Toby Alderweireld and Harry Maguire but moves for either one of them is proving difficult.
Mina is a centreback that has all the attributes of a Jose Mourinho defender: tall, powerful and good at aerial balls, which will make him a real threat from set pieces, as we saw in Russia.
If signed, he would be a valuable addition.