Rodney Harrison Says ‘It’s Great’ That Tom Brady Is Not At Patriots OTAs

Tom Brady is skipping voluntary workout sessions with the New England Patriots for the second year in a row.
And one former Patriot likes that.
Rodney Harrison joined NBC Sports Boston’s “Quick Slants Podcast” to talk about his time with the Pats and about the current status of the team, and the conversation naturally shifted over to Brady.
“I think it’s great,” Harrison said when asked about Brady not working out with the team, as transcribed by NBC Sports Boston. “I think at this point in time in his career, after all the years and all the levels of commitment that he’s shown that if he needs a break and he needs to spend his valuable time (with his family, he should).
“Tom Brady can’t be who Tom Brady is if he’s not at peace with himself. If he’s not spending time with his family, if he’s not making them breakfast, if he’s not waking up and taking them to the beach (he’s losing something) that’s very, very special and those are the things as an older player that you really value because you know you give up so much during the season.”
Brady skipping out on OTAs was turned into a massive story last year, and Brady took some pride in proving those who were critical of that decision wrong as he went on to win a sixth Super Bowl.
“Everybody knows Tom Brady, his work ethic, his level of commitment and you know when he’s not there he’s working his ass off so I think it’s fine,” said Harrison. “I think it’s really smart. When you come into football training camp you gotta forget about wife and kids … at the end of the day, you’re down there taking care of business. And if you put your time in as a veteran player at home, you’ll feel much better about yourself doing that.
“You gotta make sure that you clear the distractions so you can go to work and just be you,” he added. “And that’s why I applaud tom Brady because he needs this time with his family.”
While Brady does spend a good amount of time on social media these days, taking on dares from Jeopardy contestants and jabbing with Julian Edelman on Instagram, he’s clearly staying on top of his game while spending a ton of time with his family.
So who are we judge? The man has won just about everything. Just let him do what he wants at this point.

Golf Odds: Justin Rose Narrow Favorite At Charles Schwab Challenge

Justin Rose will be looking to rebound from a disappointing 29th-place finish at the PGA Championship as he defends his title this weekend as a narrow +1100 favorite on the Charles Schwab Challenge odds at sportsbooks monitored by OddsShark.com.
Rose struggled in the final two rounds of this year’s second major tournament, shooting a combined plus-8 on Saturday and Sunday, and has now slipped to No. 3 on the World Golf Rankings going into first-round action of the Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas.
The 38-year-old Englishman also struggled at the Masters, missing the cut for the first time in 14 career appearances at Augusta National, but has enjoyed considerable success this season, earning the win at the Farmers Insurance Open in once of his four Top-3 finishes.
Rose was also dominant at this event a year ago, shooting 66 or less in all four rounds to outpace golf’s newly anointed No. 1 Brooks Koepka by three strokes in what proved to be his lone tournament win of 2018.
While Koepka is not participating in this weekend’s tournament, Rose faces no shortage of stiff competition, lead by Texan Jordan Spieth, who joins Jon Rahm at +1200 at online betting sites, ahead of Rickie Fowler, who sits at +1400.
Spieth is coming off a third-place performance at the PGA Championship while sporting  +2000 odds, six strokes back of Koepka. That marks a welcome turnaround for the 25-year-old Dallas native, who had failed to crack the Top 20 in 13 previous outings this season, and hasn’t earned a tournament win since his victory at The Open Championship in July 2017.
However, Spieth has enjoyed previous success at this event, claiming victory in 2016 and fallowing up with a second-place finish a year later.
Rahm is also coming off a tough weekend at the PGA Championship as a +1600 bet on the golf odds, missing the cut for the third time in five major tournament appearances after claiming victory at last month’s Zurich Classic of New Orleans. But a visit to Fort Worth may be what Rahm needs after recording Top-5 finishes in his two previous appearances at this event, including a second-place performance two years ago.
Fowler has three Top-10 finishes to his credit this season including a win at the Phoenix Open as a +1800 bet, but finished 17th at this event last year in his first appearance since missing the cut in 2014.
Further down the Charles Schwab Challenge odds, Xander Schauffele lags at +1600, followed by Francesco Molinari at +1800, while Bryson DeChambeau joins Tony Finau at +2500.

Metta World Peace Reveals Inspiration Behind Changing His Name In 2011

Ever wondered what inspired Metta World Peace to change his name?
Well, the 39-year-old finally is opening up about that 2011 decision, saying it’s all thanks to another elite athlete.
“The moment I knew I was going to change my name from Ron Artest to Metta World Peace, it was when Chad Ochocinco changed his name,” he told Bleacher Report. “I felt really inspired by it. I thought it was dope.”
Metta apparently considered a number of other names as well, including “Queensbridge” and “So Hood” among other “street names” he’s a fan of.

Metta World Peace felt really inspired by Chad Ochocinco when he changed his name
“Quiet Storm: The Ron Artest Story” drops on @SHOsports on 5/31 pic.twitter.com/QrHxa1XNIv
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) May 21, 2019

But what was the biggest struggle he faced with the whole ordeal? Having to go to Triple-A to change his name in person.
“My Triple-A (card) still say Ron Artest to this day. I don’t even know where the Triple-A office is at,” he said.
What a character.

Aaron Rodgers Bashes ‘Game Of Thrones’ Finale In Hilariously Accurate Tirade

If you weren’t exactly thrilled with how HBO decided to wrap things up on “Game of Thrones,” well, you have a ton of company.
And your spokesperson likely could be Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
Rodgers is a massive fan of the show, and even appeared in the series’ penultimate episode.
But he had some massive problems with how things ended up.
Warning: spoilers. Like, really big spoilers.
Rodgers mostly was upset with who ended up as the ruler of the *six* kingdoms, with Brandon Stark … errr … “The Three-Eyed Raven,” or “Bran the Broken,” or whatever the heck he is going by these days, being chosen as the new king. He shared his frustration with reporters on Tuesday.
“You come down to the ending and Tyrion says the person with the best story is Bran?!,” Rodgers exclaimed.
He later went on to joke that showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were more focused on their upcoming “Star Wars,” project than closing things out on “Thrones.”

Aaron Rodgers had to rant about that #GameofThrones ending pic.twitter.com/o0kXgQSDpL
— ESPN (@espn) May 21, 2019

The quarterback makes some pretty great points. It seems that the showmakers essentially dragged viewers out for eight seasons only to learn that Bran basically knew what he was doing from the start.
Rodgers is far from alone, and we think Thrones fans around the world are agreeing with the signal-caller here.

Lions’ Danny Amendola Took Some Swings At Tigers Batting Practice Tuesday

He may play football professionally, but Danny Amendola still seems pretty comfortable with a baseball bat in his hands.
2019 will mark Amendola’s first year with the Detriot Lions following a lackluster year with the Miami Dolphins. Since joining his new team, the ex-Patriot has been making the rounds as he familiarizes himself with his new home city.
That included taking a couple of swings at the Detriot Tigers’ batting practice Tuesday afternoon.
Take a look:

.@DannyAmendola can RAKE. pic.twitter.com/yvAYzlI756
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) May 21, 2019

We should note this isn’t the first time Amendola has had a bat in his hands in his lifetime, but you probably knew that already.

MLB.com Ranks Michael Chavis At No. 2 In First Rookie Of Year Poll

Michael Chavis hasn’t been in Major League Baseball very long, but he’s certainly making a big impression.
The Boston Red Sox infielder has been on a tear since being called up from Triple-A Pawtucket in April. Chavis doubled in his first at-bat, now he’s making tape measurer home runs a frequent thing.
With his numbers on the rise, the 23-year-old has entered early discussions for the 2019 Rookie of the Year. And if Chavis continues to put the bat to the ball and building his numbers, he certainly will have a strong case.
MLB.com came out with their first Rookie of the Year poll and have the second baseman coming in second, receiving seven first-place votes.
Chavis made his debut on April 20 and doubled in his first Major League at-bat. He started at second base and has been there ever since. If the Red Sox ever thought he was a temporary replacement until Dustin Pedroia or Brock Holt returned, Chavis appears to have grabbed the job for good with nine home runs and a .981 OPS.
Both Holt (shoulder) and Pedroia (knee) are on a rehab assignment and making good progress. And while it will be nice to get both players back in the clubhouse, Chavis is making it easier to not rush them back given he’s filled in quite nicely.
Click here for the full list >>>

Auto Racing World Mourns Death Of Formula One Legend Niki Lauda

The racing world has lost a giant.
Niki Lauda, a three-time Formula 1 champion and beloved figured around the paddock as a non-executive chairman with Mercedes AMG Petronas, died on Monday night. He was 70 years old.
The Austrian-born Lauda is most-famous for a horrific crash in 1976 German Grand Prix at the feared Nurburgring which nearly cost him his life as his car exploded into a fiery blaze. Lauda was back in the saddle six weeks later in attempt to defend his lead in the world championship, which he famously lost out on to James Hunt. The two drivers and their historic ’76 season was depicted in the 2013 film “Rush.”
He won drivers’ championship in 1975 and 1977 with Ferrari, and again in 1984 with McLaren.
Throughout Tuesday, figures from the racing community took to social media to share their memories of Lauda.

Wins: 25
Podiums: 54
Poles: 24
Fastest Laps: 24
Championships: 1975, 1977, 1984
Niki Lauda's legacy: immeasurable #F1 pic.twitter.com/K1bi8Rjg2C
— Formula 1 (@F1) May 21, 2019

I’m struggling to believe you are gone. I will miss our conversations, our laughs, the big hugs after winning races together. God rest your soul. Thank you for being a bright light in my life. I’ll always be here for your family should they ever need me. Love you man pic.twitter.com/cotUpuvW2F
— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) May 21, 2019

RIP Niki #legend pic.twitter.com/E2dM5emEYU
— Valtteri Bottas (@ValtteriBottas) May 21, 2019

Shocked by the loss of Niki Lauda. He was a true legend in our sport and someone I had great respect for. May he rest in peace #RIPNiki pic.twitter.com/NCCduqNQuU
— Max Verstappen (@Max33Verstappen) May 21, 2019

Oh no. The man himself is no longer with us . A great human being, determined, relentless, talented, passionate, forthright, honest, humble, and great company. Living on borrowed time since his awful crash in 1976, he certainly made the absolute most of that gift. RIP Niki https://t.co/WRSsBL3TUV
— Martin Brundle (@MBrundleF1) May 21, 2019

#CiaoNiki pic.twitter.com/qpmfJEC5hg
— Scuderia Ferrari (@ScuderiaFerrari) May 21, 2019

Shocking and sad news this morning. RIP Niki pic.twitter.com/2bnNdgKzMs
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) May 21, 2019

Dear Niki… pic.twitter.com/nsJk2z1qAM
— Nico Rosberg (@nico_rosberg) May 21, 2019

With F1 barreling into Monaco Grand Prix weekend, there’s sure to be more tributes for Lauda throughout the weekend.

Revolution Seeing Success Using DeJuan Jones At Outside Back

Revolution Seeing Success Using DeJuan Jones At Outside Back, Rookie Could Make Career Out Of It If He Pursues It

The New England Revolution made a 35th minute substitution this past Saturday sending in MLS SuperDraft Rookie DeJuan Jones in for former USMNT defender Edgar Castillo. 
Jones excelled in his 55 minutes of play at the outside position and a number of highlight moments including an 80 yard run down field while maintaining possession.
While Jones at outside back isn’t his normal position of play, it is something that Mike Lapper actually brought up to the former Michigan State standout a few weeks ago.
”I had a conversation with him probably three, four weeks ago that I thought this might be his position of choice,” said Lapper. 
And the reason behind it is Jones’s comfort and ability to use both of his feet.
”Because he is dual-footed – he’s left and right, he’s comfortable on either one,” said Lapper. 
But it truly is up to Jones in terms of what happens long-term, especially with Lapper likely on the way out with Bruce Arena taking over as head coach in the coming weeks.
”This is something that if he embraces, he can take it as far as he wants,” said Lapper. 
Jones had first started playing the position in preseason with former skipper Brad Friedel looking for positional versatility. 
“Preseason, I started playing outside back for the first time in my career,” said Jones. 
With defensive depth being a huge problem for New England this season Jones was willing to do whatever the team needed him to do saying “obviously I’m here to do whatever I can for the team”.
”Against Chelsea, to get some time, that was rally nice and it gave my a confidence a boost heading into the weekend,” said Jones. “He (Lapper) just said you could play winger, you could play outside back – just be ready. So, I just wanted to be ready and when they called my number, I was ready.” 
Jones has had his fair share of help from the veterans in the locker room on playing outside back including second-year Brandon Bye who had to go through a similar transition. 
“A couple tricks and tips, but other than that, he’s doing him,” said Bye when asked on any advice he had for Jones. “He’s playing well and he’s got confidence, so let him do what he does best and roll with it.” 
The post Revolution Seeing Success Using DeJuan Jones At Outside Back appeared first on Trifecta Sports.

Michael Chavis Surprising Young Fan With Thank You Message Will Melt Your Heart

Michael Chavis has captured the love of many Red Sox fans since he arrived in Boston.
Not only has the 23-year-old second baseman been tearing the absolute cover off the ball while learning a new position during his first weeks of his Major-League career, Chavis has been a breath of fresh air off the field too.
Chavis bopped his eighth home run of the season on Sunday, jacking the first pitch of his at-bat over everything at Fenway Park just moments after he was introduced by a young fan on the PA.
Jaxon Younger, 5, joined the NESN studio on Tuesday for “Red Sox First Pitch,” and Chavis thanked Younger for the assist on Sunday.
“I just wanted to say hey, and thank you for helping me with that home run the other day,” Chavis said. “I think you’re a good luck charm, and I had a lot of respect for how confident you were and how you did that. When I was five years old I definitely wouldn’t have been able to do that in front of all the fans. So that’s definitely cool, and hopefully I see sometime soon.”

5-year-old Jaxon Younger joined @TomCaron in the @NESN studio today and got a little thank you message from @MichaelChavis11 for helping him with that home run on Sunday. pic.twitter.com/GJPWmEMCyE
— NESN (@NESN) May 21, 2019

Chavis has been on a tear, earning some acknowledgement in the race for American League Rookie of the Year, and could draw some attention for the All-Star Game, leading NESN’s Tom Caron to float out an interesting proposition.

We need to get @MichaelChavis11 in the #MLB Home Run Derby. And 5 year-old Jaxon Younger needs to be the PA announcer for at bats. #RedSox
— Tom Caron (@TomCaron) May 21, 2019

Chavis in the Home Run Derby? If Jaxon is on the call … we like his chances.
 
 

Former Bruin Gregory Campbell Sympathizes With Chris Wagner, Kevan Miller

Gregory Campbell knows exactly what Kevan Miller and Chris Wagner are going through.
The former Bruin broke his leg when he blocked a shot against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2013 Eastern Conference Final. As you probably remember, Campbell finished off the shift before skating to Boston bench.
The B’s went on to the Stanley Cup Final that year, but lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in six games.
Now, six years later, Boston is playing for Lord Stanley, but will be doing it without the likes of Chris Wagner and Kevan Miller. Wagner blocked a shot with his arm in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final against the Carolina Hurricanes. He’s not expected to play in the Cup Final.
Miller has been out of action since April after suffering a lower-body injury. General manager Don Sweeney revealed the defenseman suffered a setback and likely won’t return this season.
Campbell praised the duo, though, telling The Athletic’s Joe McDonald that teams don’t get as far as the Bruins have without players like Wagner and Miller.
“It’s bittersweet, for sure. That’s a good word to use,” Campbell said. “At least you’re doing the right thing. At least you’re doing what you’re supposed to do and you’re helping your team win. It’s something that I could live with. It’s something I’m sure Wagner can live with and a guy like Millsey. You don’t make it to where the Bruins have made it without guys sacrificing their bodies on a nightly basis.
“I would have loved to play in the finals for me,” he added. “Again, you do what you do and things happen and I can live with that at the end of the day.”
Playing in the finals always runs the chance of being a once in a lifetime opportunity, but we know the team will be playing for the two when it takes the ice May 27 at TD Garden to begin the last leg of the quest for the Cup.
Click here to read McDonald’s full conversation with Campbell >>>