Isaiah Thomas Has Hilarious Reaction To Thumb Injury Sustained This Week

If you follow Isaiah Thomas on Twitter, you’re probably familiar with #ThatSLOWGrind hashtag he uses.

Well, it seems the Washington Wizards guard will need to continue using it after sustaining a thumb injury that will sideline him six-to-eight weeks. According to The Athletic’s Shams Charania, Thomas “underwent surgery to repair a ligament in his left thumb.”

Washington Wizards guard Isaiah Thomas underwent surgery to repair a ligament in his left thumb and will be sidelined 6-to-8 weeks.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) September 18, 2019

But just how did Thomas sustain his injury? Allow him to elaborate:

Hurt my damn thumb tryna play defense… Never again lol never again!
— Isaiah Thomas (@isaiahthomas) September 19, 2019

At least he can find some humor in it. But we don’t think he’ll be jumping to to play defense any time soon.
The Wizards visit Thomas’ former team, the Boston Celtics, on Nov. 13, putting him at the tail end of his timetable.

Red Sox’s Sam Travis Cracked Joke After Getting Hit In Head Vs. Giants

A scary situation turned humorous Tuesday night.
Sam Travis laced a triple in the sixth inning of Tuesday’s game between the Red Sox and San Francisco Giants, but was hit in the head on the relay throw from Brandon Crawford. Travis’ helmet flew off while he was rounding second, so his head was unprotected.

He remained down for several minutes but was able to walk off the field under his own power. Travis was removed from the game, and manager Alex Cora revealed prior to Wednesday’s game his player was in concussion protocol, but feeling better.
In fact, he likely was feeling better as he was walking back to dugout Tuesday. Cora said as they were walking back, Travis found some humor in what had just happened.
“Finally, I barreled a ball after a month,” he said per the Eagle Tribune’s Chris Mason.

Random fact: When assessing a concussion, Red Sox trainers first ask what the count was. Sam Travis couldn't answer that last night.
Though on the way back to the dugout he went, "Finally, I barreled a ball after a month." Cora started cracking up then felt bad for laughing.
— Chris Mason (@ByChrisMason) September 18, 2019

We guess there’s always a positive in every situation.

Boston Cannons Notes: NLL Draft Picks And Roster Moves

Boston Cannons Have Four Players Drafted In The NLL Draft, Marrocco And Rees Earn High Honors From MLL

On Saturday the Boston Cannons regular season will come to a close ahead of the Major League Lacrosse playoffs.

Boston has a lot on the line as they look to enter the playoffs on a winning streak being winners of two-straight games. The Cannons will take on the Dallas Rattlers and if all goes their way they can find themselves in a more favorable playoff position come Sunday.

Prior to their final match of the season the Cannons are able to celebrate some of the successes they had in the previous week. On Wednesday MLL announced that Cannons goalie Nick Marrocco had been named the Defensive Player of the Week for Week 15 of the MLL season after he recorded a 12 save effort in a 19-9 win over Atlanta.

In addition to the Marrocco award Cannons rookie Ryland Rees was named the Cascade Rookie of the Week for Week 15 after picking up three goals and 1 assist while also scooping up 15 ground balls and causing a turnover.

While all of this excitement to the nearing conclusion of the 2019 MLL season was going on a draft took place in the National Lacrosse League (NLL). Several members of the Boston Cannons were selected.

Ryland Rees was selected number 2 overall by RochesterTyson Bomberry 10th overall to New York Zach Goodrich selected 17th overall by New EnglandMatt Dziama selected 68th overall by Halifax

Boston and Dallas this Saturday at Veterans Memorial Stadium at 5 pm est..
The post Boston Cannons Notes: NLL Draft Picks And Roster Moves appeared first on Trifecta Sports.

Sam Kennedy Opens Up On Red Sox’s Decision To Part Ways With Dave Dombrowski

The Red Sox and Dave Dombrowski parted ways after a 10-5 loss to the New York Yankees — a move that came as a surprise with so little time left in the regular season.
Dombrowski served as Boston’s president of baseball operations for four seasons, winning three straight American League division titles and notched a World Series title in 2018. But after a lackluster year in which the Red Sox have struggled to find consistency, a decision was made that a change had to happen.

Prior to the Red Sox’s game with the San Francisco Giants on Tuesday, Sam Kennedy sat down with NESN’s Tom Caron on “Red Sox Gameday Live” to discuss what went behind the decision to move on from Dombrowski.
“It was a very difficult decision, one that John Henry, Tom Werner and myself and senior leadership did not come to lightly,” the CEO said, as seen on NESN. “We thank him for everything he did. Dave’s time here will be remembered with great fondness. Winning divisional championships, winning a World Series . He came in at the right time, did exactly what we wanted him to do, won a World Series. As we look to mole forward, obviously you don’t make a change unless you feel that a new leader is needed. … He handled it like a pro. it was difficult obviously on a personal level and on a professional level. … now we move forward.”
So, what’t next in terms of finding a replacement?
“We’re engaged in the very very early days of the process. Myself along with John and Tom have started the research phase and the due diligence phase.”
Assistant GMs Eddie Romero, Brian O’Halloran and Zack Scott and Red Sox senior vice president of major and minor league operations Raquel Ferreira since have filled the void Dombrowski’s absence left.

Watch Carl Yastrzemski Throw Out First Pitch To Grandson At Fenway Park

Wendesday night was a special one for Red Sox nation.
Boston legend Carl Yastrzemski was invited to throw out the first pitch at Wednesday’s game at Fenway Park ahead of the Red Sox’s contest against Yaz’s grandson, Mike, and the San Francisco Giants. Mike had the honor of catching his grandfather’s first pitch in what was a truly spectacular moment for the two men and the fans that adore them both.

Check it out:

Yaz to Yaz. pic.twitter.com/I7DeYtBay3
— Red Sox (@RedSox) September 18, 2019

Truly heartwarming.

Jhoulys Chacin To Take Hill As Red Sox Look To Get Back In Win Column

Jhoulys Chacin will take the mound for the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night.
Chacin will be making his third start and fourth overall appearance for Boston when he takes on the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday. The 31-year-old hasn’t allowed a run yet this season for the Red Sox, and has struck out seven batters over 5 2/3 innings.
He will be opposed by the Giants’ right-handed pitcher Jeff Samardzija who enters Wednesday night’s contest sporting a 10-12 record on the season with a 3.72 ERA and 133 strike outs.
For more on Wednesday’s pitching match up, check out the clip above from “Red Sox Gameday Live,” presented by DCU.

Sorry, Jalen Ramsey: Adam Gase Calls Stephon Gilmore NFL’s Best Corner

FOXBORO, Mass. — Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback (for now) Jalen Ramsey believes he’s the best cornerback in the NFL. New York Jets head coach Adam Gase (probably) doesn’t agree with that assessment.
Gase was asked Wednesday how to prepare for Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore before New York’s matchup with New England this weekend. Gase indirectly responded to Ramsey’s boast.
“Well, I mean (Gilmore’s) probably the best corner in the league,” Gase said. “Just the fact of, if he’s one-on-one, he’s very difficult to get open on. He has a very good knowledge of the game. He understands splits, he understands break points, he understands stems and things like that, that really make it challenging for any receiver. But as a play-caller, you’re aware of that and just have to understand that he’s playing chess while everybody else is playing checkers. He’s really, especially the past couple years, he’s playing at an extremely high level.”

Gilmore said he agreed with Gase’s assessment, but he’s focused on the future, which right now means preparing for the Jets.
“Anybody can say all that, but I just try to go out and do my job,” Gilmore said.
He also wasn’t about to get into a war of words with Ramsey.
“Everybody has their opinion. You can’t control what other people say,” Gilmore said. “You just gotta prove yourself each and every day and as long as you prove yourself, the truth comes out.”
Patriots safety Devin McCourty has Gilmore’s (and Gase’s) back and is wondering why it took other so long to come to the conclusion that Gilmore, a first-team All-Pro last season, is No. 1 in the NFL.
“You just found that out? I’ve been agreeing with that assessment,” McCourty said. “The guy’s been playing lights out, understanding what we want to do from a defensive standpoint, playing against guys 1-on-1. He does a great job with that. Just overall, our secondary communication’s been great, and I think that’s allowed each guy to kind of play their best football and Steph definitely leads the way in that.”
Gilmore had a monster performance Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, when he picked off a pass, returned it for a touchdown and broke up two other targets, one of which fell into McCourty’s hands for another interception.
Gilmore has let up just seven catches on 13 targets for 83 yards with a 41.5 passer rating allowed in two games this season, per Pro Football Focus.
He’ll likely cover Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson on Sunday. Gilmore allowed just four catches on 12 targets for 31 yards with an interception and four pass breakups against the Jets last season. Only two of those catches for 11 yards came against Anderson. Gilmore also had an interception and all four pass breakups against Anderson. He let up a 0 passer rating while covering the Jets’ top receiver in 2018.

Lamar Odom Brushes Off Near Record-Low Score On ‘Dancing With The Stars’

Alright, it’s safe to say dancing isn’t necessarily Lamar Odom’s forte.
The former NBA star looked more awkward than nimble during his very first performance on Season 28 of “Dancing with the Stars” on Monday. Odom garnered a measly 11 points out of a possible 30 for his Foxtrot to Michael Buble’s “Feeling Good,” landing at the bottom of the Week 1 leaderboard one point behind former White House press secretary Sean Spicer.
If that wasn’t bad enough, Odom’s score is considered the third-lowest score in the program’s history.
Despite this, Odom isn’t taking the experience for granted.

“I did have a good time,” Odom told Access Hollywood on Tuesday, adding he’d never danced in public before “besides at the club.”
Even his partner, two-time “Dancing with the Stars” champion Peta Murgatroyd, is proud of what he’s accomplished in such a short amount of time.
“Coming from a non-performing background, there is many people on this season that have gotten that experience, he’s got none of that,” Murgatroyd told Access Hollywood.
Ultimately, Odom is just happy to have this opportunity.
“It feels good to just be alive,” he said, “For those who don’t know my story, I just feel lucky to be alive. I am blessed.”

Odom will return for Week 2 of “Dancing with the Stars,” which airs Monday nights at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Heres’ Why Red Sox’s Alex Cora Turned Down Doing Work During MLB Postseason

Alex Cora has a busy offseason ahead of him, and he doesn’t seem to want any distractions.
The Boston Red Sox manager likely won’t be leading his team to the postseason this year after completing a historic 2018 that ended with a World Series title.

Cora made his weekly appearance on WEEI’s “Ordway, Merloni and Fauria” on Wednesday and revealed he was contacted to do some work during this year’s postseason. The skipper does have experience in on-air work, as he served as analyst for ESPN before becoming bench coach of the Houston Astros and manager of the Sox.
But he had no interest in doing so.
“Somebody called me to do the playoffs, I was like, ‘no,’” Cora told hosts Glenn Ordway, Lou Merloni and Christian Fauria.
Cora had good reason, however, saying he wants to be able to spend time with his family during the offseason, including his teenage daughter and young twin boys.

These Stats Put Into Perspective How Crazy Tuesday’s 15-Inning Game Was

Tuesday night was a long night.
The Boston Red Sox welcomed the Mike Yastrzemski-led San Francisco Giants to Fenway Park on Tuesday night for the first of three games between the two squads, and it took almost six hours for the final pitch to be thrown.
Boston and San Francisco battled for 15 innings and used an MLB record 24 pitchers who threw an astounding 547 total pitches en route to  a Giants 7-6 victory. For more on the wild game, check out the clip above from “Red Sox First Pitch,” presented by Men’s Wearhouse.