David Price Injury: Encouraging Update On Red Sox Pitcher After Surgery

David Price didn’t speak with reporters Sunday after the Boston Red Sox finished their 2019 season with a 5-4 win over the Baltimore Orioles, but there’s no reason to believe the left-hander won’t be ready when the 2020 campaign rolls around in several months.

Price, who hasn’t pitched since Sept. 1, underwent surgery to remove a cyst from his left wrist last week. Red Sox executive vice president and assistant general manager Brian O’Halloran told reporters Monday during a press conference at Fenway Park that the organization fully expects the veteran pitcher to have a normal offseason and be full-go when spring training begins.

Asst GM Brian O'Halloran said the surgery on David Price went well and that the team expects him to be fully ready to go for next spring. #RedSox
— Tom Caron (@TomCaron) September 30, 2019

Price is coming off a 2019 season in which he went 7-5 with a 4.28 ERA, a 3.62 FIP, a 1.31 WHIP and 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings in 22 starts. The 34-year-old has three years and $96 million remaining on the seven-year, $217 million contract he signed with Boston before the 2016 season.
O’Halloran also offered an update Monday on Red Sox starter Chris Sale, who avoided Tommy John surgery but received a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection from Dr. James Andrews back in August. The Red Sox expect Sale to be ready for the 2020 season, although he hasn’t begun throwing yet and will meet with Andrews again at some point in the near future.

NFL Rumors: This AFC Team Might Enter Jalen Ramsey Sweepstakes

It’s tough to project where Jalen Ramsey might end up should his desires be fulfilled.
It doesn’t seem as though a true market has been generated for Ramsey, who reportedly requested a trade out of Jacksonville a few weeks ago. The Jaguars clearly aren’t eager to deal the star cornerback either, as they reportedly turned down an offer of two first-round picks.

But as far as potential landing spots are concerned, defense-needy teams like the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles have been identified as logical fits. In his latest Football Morning in America column for NBC Sports, Peter King noted the Los Angeles Chargers also might be worth keeping an eye on.
“I’m hearing the Chargers might get into the Jalen Ramsey sweepstakes, which is smart on many levels,” King wrote. “The second team in L.A. will need some juice, and signing a top-three cornerback would help them moving into the new stadium next fall, even if Ramsey is Charger property only through the end of 2020. Still think the Chiefs and Ravens are involved too. Now we have to figure out if Ramsey will make it hot enough on Jacksonville for the Jaguars to trade him. Which I still think he could do.”
It would be tough to part ways with highly valuable assets for a rental, but it might be worth it for a player of Ramsey’s caliber. AFC teams will need every bit of talent in order to be on pace with the New England Patriots and Chiefs, and past shortcomings could motivate the Bolts to go all in.
But even if Los Angeles is kicking the tires on Ramsey, it sure doesn’t sound like a blockbuster deal is imminent.

Aww, Honey(crisp)! Danica Patrick, Aaron Rodgers Go Apple Picking Together

Playing on “Thursday Night Football” has its drawbacks, to be sure, but there are also many benefits to suiting up for a midweek NFL showdown.
You know, like spending the weekend apple picking with babe.

By now, you surely know we’re talking about Danica Patrick and Aaron Rodgers — the sports world’s premier power couple. With their weekend free of prior engagements, the retired NASCAR star and the Green Bay Packers quarterback took their respective talents to a local apple orchard.
The results, of course, were shared on Patrick’s Instagram.
“It’s that time of year!!!! Apple pie, apple crisp, apple chips, apple sauce, apple chutney, apple slaw, apple juice, diced apples, sliced apples, topped with apples … Ya, I think that’s about it. ”

View this post on Instagram

It’s that time of year!!!! Apple pie, apple crisp, apple chips, apple sauce, apple chutney, apple slaw, apple juice, diced apples, sliced apples, topped with apples… ya, I think that’s about it.
A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on Sep 29, 2019 at 2:31pm PDT

Yeah, nobody does date day like those two.

Jayson Tatum Says He’ll Be Ready To Go For Celtics Training Camp

Jayson Tatum suffered an ankle sprain during the U.S. men’s national basketball team’s FIBA World Cup run, limiting the Boston Celtics guard to just two games overseas.

Despite the injury, Tatum on Monday said that his ankle is feeling good, adding that he’ll be ready to go for Day 1 of training camp at the Auerbach Center.

The Duke product will serve a bigger role in Boston’s offense this season alongside newly-acquire Kemba Walker, and noted that he’s looking to fine tune his game.
“Focus on getting to the basket much more. Shoot more 3s,” Tatum said. “Threes and layups and free throws.”
If Tatum can avoid taking long twos and focus on attacking the rim and improving his 3-point game, Boston’s offense will benefit immensely. The 21-year-old averaged 15.7 points and six rebounds in 79 games last season.

Chris Sale Injury: Update On Red Sox Ace As Boston’s Offseason Begins

What exactly is going on with Chris Sale?
It’s one of the many questions facing the Boston Red Sox as they enter the offseason after a disappointing 2019 campaign in which they missed the playoffs, and it’s a question that might linger throughout the winter as the left-hander continues to recover from an elbow injury that cost him the final month and a half of the season.

“He’ll go home in the next few days and he’ll keep rehabbing down there in Fort Myers,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora told reporters Sunday after Boston defeated the Baltimore Orioles 5-4 in its final game of the year. “As far as going to see (Dr. James) Andrews, nothing yet. Throwing? Nothing yet.”
Sale, whose last start came Aug. 13, was placed on the injured list with elbow inflammation Aug. 17. He avoided Tommy John surgery, instead receiving a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection from Dr. James Andrews, who at the time recommended a follow-up exam in six weeks.
Red Sox executive vice president/assistant general manager Brian O’Halloran on Monday confirmed that Sale hasn’t scheduled a second appointment with Andrews or attempted to throw. The organization expects Sale to be ready for spring training, though, with the obvious goal of the lefty regaining his ace form in 2020.

Brian O’Halloran says Red Sox expect Sale will be healthy entering spring training. Says that the team will look to build depth in rotation irrespective of any health questions related to Sox rotation members who remain under team control.
— Alex Speier (@alexspeier) September 30, 2019

And … he says no follow-up appointment with Dr. Andrews has been scheduled yet. It’s beyond 6 weeks but he says schedules change https://t.co/8xz7ksMtbr
— Christopher Smith (@SmittyOnMLB) September 30, 2019

Finally a little clarity on Chris Sale from assistant GM Brian O’Halloran. They feel he will be ready for 2020. But BOH also acknowledged Sale’s recovery was slower than expected. He has not scheduled a second visit with Andrews or tried throwing
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) September 30, 2019

Sale, who turns 31 in March, went 6-11 with a 4.40 ERA, a 3.39 FIP, a 1.09 WHIP and 13.3 strikeouts per nine innings in 25 starts this season, the worst of his career no matter how you slice it. He finished in the top six in American League Cy Young voting in each of the last seven seasons before 2019.
Sale, a seven-time All-Star, signed a five-year, $145 million contract extension back in March. He’s slated to earn $30 million in the first year of the deal in 2020.

Shannon Sharpe Rips Tom Brady For ‘Awful’ Performance Against Bills

The New England Patriots’ offense came back down to earth on Sunday afternoon.
After having their way against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Miami Dolphins and New York Jets, Tom Brady and Co. struggled to get anything going against the Buffalo Bills, who limited the Patriots quarterback to 150 passing yards in the Week 4 contest. New England still managed to grind out a 16-10 win at New Era Field, but the reigning champs likely would have been hit with their first loss of the season had it not been for great showings from the defense and special teams units.

Shannon Sharpe on Monday didn’t mince words while assessing Brady’s lackluster performance against the Bills. Considering Sharpe’s “Undisputed” co-host, Skip Bayless, is an unapologetic Brady supporter, the Hall of Fame tight end seemed to bask in the opportunity to criticize New England’s signal-caller, who recently was named the league’s top quarterback by Pro Football Focus after Week 3.
“…The best quarterback in the NFL is supposed to deliver,” Sharpe said on FOX Sports 1. “What has happened is, and I guess Pro Football Focus doesn’t take into account, Miami Dolphins had the 32nd-ranked defense, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the 31st-ranked defense, the New York football Jets had the 17th-ranked defense. I guess they (PFF) didn’t take that into consideration. It would be a great luxury to have if you’re a quarterback and you could score 10 points from an offensive standpoint and still win the game. That would be an unbelievable luxury to have. Patrick Mahomeboy (Mahomes) has yet to score fewer than 26 in his life. Brady, bad interception in the end zone, two first downs in the second half, a QBR of 10. Ten. Not T-E-N, T-I-N because that’s what he played like, that’s what he moved like, the tin man.
“…Brady has to play better. That mistake in the end zone you can’t take, especially when you know the game is going to be nip and tuck. So it’s not going to be a game where you get into a shootout. Points are gonna be at a premium. So three points really could have been the difference in the ball game. If Buffalo could’ve had anything, anybody, any competent, breathing, one-celled amoeba that could play quarterback, they would have beat them yesterday. Josh Allen was terrible, then they bring Matt Barkley in and Matt Barkley was even worse. They had anybody that could play, they would have beat the Patriots yesterday. But Tom Brady was awful. He was god awful and the defense was unbelievable.”

"Tom Brady had a QBR of 10. Not T-E-N, but T-I-N because that's what he played and moved like the tin man… Brady was awful." — @ShannonSharpe pic.twitter.com/tuMTMNLU4o
— UNDISPUTED (@undisputed) September 30, 2019

Brady on Monday was relatively candid about his Week 4 showing, noting he was feeling “mixed emotions” following the Patriots’ fourth consecutive win to start the season. The 42-year-old obviously is happy his team was able to come out on top, but he knows there’s quite a bit of work to be done on offense.
Luckily for Brady and the Patriots, their upcoming schedule sets the stage for a bounce-back. New England will visit the winless Washington Redskins on Sunday before hosting the New York Giants in a “Thursday Night Football” showdown Oct. 10.

J.D. Martinez Doubtful Red Sox Will Be Able To ‘Afford’ Mookie Betts

Mookie Betts’ future with the Boston Red Sox likely will be the biggest storyline during the Major League Baseball offseason. Are the Red Sox confident they can re-sign Betts, who is scheduled to be a free agent next year, or will they look to trade the superstar outfielder this winter?
J.D. Martinez, for one, doesn’t seem confident that Betts is a part of Boston’s long-term plans.
After Sunday’s season finale, Martinez, who himself sounds resigned to life as an ex-Red Sox, cast doubt on Boston’s ability to keep Betts in the fold. Again, this isn’t speculation, nor is it rumor mongering — it’s coming from an actual member of the Red Sox.

“I think everyone knows we don’t think they’re going to be able to afford Mookie,” Martinez told NBC Sports Boston’s John Tomase. “It’s one of those things. It’s kind of hard to have three guys making $30 million on your team. He deserves it. He’s earned it.”
Added Martinez: “I’ve been on too many teams where people come and go. For you guys (it’s hard), because you’ve seen him grow. I came into this situation. To me, everyone is expendable. That’s the business of it. I’ve seen it in Houston. I saw in Detroit. I saw it in Arizona. It’s the business of it. That’s why people want to blame the players, that they just want money. You’ve got to look at the big picture.”

"I think everyone knows we don't think they're going to be able to afford Mookie. It's one of those things. It's kind of hard to have three guys making $30 million on your team. He deserves it. He's earned it." Teammates like J.D. Martinez think Mookie is gone. https://t.co/CpoNyZWNZN
— John Tomase (@jtomase) September 30, 2019

It’s wroth noting that the Red Sox all along have said their intentions are to keep both Betts and Martinez. Members of the front office reiterated those points Monday morning during end-of-season press conferences. Yes, it will be hard for the organization to reconcile those wishes with their transparent desires of slashing payroll this offseason, but that’s a different conversation.
At the end of the day, Red Sox fans at the very least should expect next season’s group to look much different than the one they’ve grown to love over the last two years.

NFL Rumors: Jonathan Jones Won’t Be Suspended For Josh Allen Hit

Jonathan Jones will not miss any games as a result of his controversial hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen.
The New England Patriots cornerback will not be suspended for the hit, which drew an unnecessary roughness call during the Patriots’ 16-10 win Sunday at New Era Field, according to a report Monday from NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero. Jones still could face a fine, per Pelissero’s report.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick backed Jones during a conference call Monday morning, saying he wouldn’t change anything about the corner’s technique or approach on the play in question. The hit landed Allen in concussion protocol, forcing Buffalo to play much of the fourth quarter with backup Matt Barkley behind center.
“When there really isn’t anything you can tell him to do differently, then I think you don’t tell him anything,” Belichick said. “I mean, Allen’s a big runner. He’s a strong guy. He’s hard to tackle. He certainly broke several tackles against us. Jon turned when he hit him. He didn’t lead with his head. He didn’t have that posture.”
NFL senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron said the hit wasn’t ejection-worthy, noting Jones turned his head away from Allen before he made contact.

NFL Suspends Raiders’ Vontaze Burfict For Rest Of Season After Latest Dirty Hit

UPDATE (11:44 a.m. ET): Vontaze Burfict officially has been suspended for the remainder of the 2019 NFL season.

Here is the official announcement on #Raiders LB Vontaze Burfict, who is suspended without pay for the rest of 2019. Jon Runyan wrote: “There were no mitigating circumstances on this play.” pic.twitter.com/DdoXyTb5ax
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 30, 2019

ORIGINAL STORY: It might be a long time before we see Vontaze Burfict on a football field again.
The Oakland Raiders linebacker was ejected from Sunday’s game against Colts after delivering a vicious head-to-head hit on Jack Doyle. The Indianapolis tight did not appear to be injured and remained in the game.
As for the oft-suspended Burfict, he is facing a season-long ban for the hit, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

Check out this tweet:

Vontaze Burfict is facing a season-long suspension for his late conduct on field, per source.
— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) September 30, 2019

That would represent the strictest discipline yet for Burfict, who received multiple fines and three suspensions during his seven-year run with the Cincinnati Bengals.
In fact, the reported season-long suspension would be a first in NFL history, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

If Vontaze Burfict is suspended for rest of season, as @mortreport reports, it would be the longest suspension for an on-field act in NFL history.
Albert Haynesworth was suspended five games for kicking, then stomping on Cowboys’ C Andre Gurode’s face. Gurode needed 30 stitches.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 30, 2019

Is a season-long suspension a bit harsh? Absolutely.
However, Burfict has nobody to blame but himself for the position he’s in.

Kemba Walker Focused On Creating ‘Great Chemistry’ With 2019-20 Celtics

The Boston Celtics unofficially kick off their season Monday with media day, and newly-acquired point guard Kemba Walker is looking forward to the fresh slate.
Walker spoke about Boston’s chemistry entering the 2019-20 season on Monday, noting that he’s focused on the team’s camaraderie ahead of training camp.

“I want the camaraderie to be super high,” Walker said, per Celtics.com’s Taylor Snow. “I want us to have great chemistry as a team because it will translate on the court into wins.”

Kemba says one of his biggest goals is to have everyone on the #Celtics get along. "I want the camaraderie to be super high. I want us to have great chemistry as a team because it will translate on the court into wins."
— Taylor Snow (@taylorcsnow) September 30, 2019

Celtics fans will welcome this attitude with open arms, especially following last year’s roller coaster season.
The Celtics begin training camp Tuesday at the Auerbach Center.